Saturday, September 21, 2013

Staying Busy

I finally got in some sewing time this past week. I am working on machine quilting this baby quilt for the girl that cuts my hair. She is having her first baby, a girl.
Still working in the garden. Last week I planted some seedlings and picked the dried bean pods on the vines.
I planted pinto and black beans in the spring. The top left corner shows the only black beans I got from that planting. So I planted some more pinto beans and got a pretty good crop this time. I dry the pods on the vines, then shelled them to dry some more. I will let them sit on a screen for a week or two to make sure they are good and dry. 
These will be good to eat this winter.
I was also able to get the border made for the September Kathy Schmitz block of the month. I still have the October border kit to make.
 The other day I was in the garden and noticed this caterpillar on some dill that was growing. I think it will turn into a black Swallowtail butterfly if a bird doesn't eat it first. I will check to see if it is still on the plant tomorrow.
With Passion,
Carrie P.

15 comments:

WoolenSails said...

That is a beautiful quilt, she is going to love it.
I have green beans but the cold nights are killing them.

Debbie

Carla said...

The baby quilt looks lovely. Won't she be thrilled ; )

Preeti said...

Lovely quilt!!
Did you ever try sowing peas ? I am not sure how to do but I saw on Internet that it can be grown in containers. Do you think if it can be grown using dried peas or frozen peas ? I will try to get them sprouted first . But it is a hit n trial process. If you know how to , pls let me know.

Abby and Stephanie said...

I do love the softness of the baby quilt. I'm sure it will be very much appreciated and provide lots of comfort for the new little one. You have such a variety of things in your garden. How fun.

sewyouquilt2 said...

the baby quilt is so cute. drying the beans reminds me of when I was on the farm and we did the same. good eats all winter! do you have any good recipes? my mom had a soup that was thick like a stew but had sugar in it (I know) to I guess cut the starch? it was so good and we don't have the recipe. always looking for good recipes to try

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Beautiful quilt. I am going to have to work on cleaning up my garden soon too.

Astrid said...

The baby quilt looks beautiful. I'm sure she will love it ! Lovely autumn project. I love beans, but don't grow any.

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

Your baby quilt looks so pretty... love those soft muted colors!

Candace said...

Pretty baby quilt, Carrie! I am so impressed by your ability to collect seeds and plant and dry beans! I know it takes a lot of work, but to have your own dried beans in the winter is totally worth it! I've never seen such a huge caterpillar! I sure hope you get to see it's transformation!
Cheers!

Melissa said...

Can't wait to see your quilting!

Rosa said...

Your baby quilt looks gorgeous and can´t wait to see it finished.Have a great week!!

CJ STITCHING AND BLOOMS said...

The baby quilt is very very pretty. Loved seeing the photos from Washington DC. I really like the Little Acorn quilt pattern. I see you have fallen in love applique and over the years I have discovered I absolutely love doing stitching on everything even the quilts I make.. VBG Lovely blog. Hugs Judy

Ivory Spring said...

I love that soft color palette on the baby quilt. Such a sweet lady you are!!!

Jo said...

Pretty baby quilt, she will love it! Great acorn Fall project, seams to go right along with drying beans :0) Beautiful caterpillar and pic, hope it made it to be a butterfly

Judy said...

What a wonderful baby quilt that is sure to be loved! Outstanding photo of the caterpillar-I hope that it makes it to adulthood. Your garden sounds a bit like ours where some things did quite well and others not so well.
Enjoy your week,
Judy