Monday, July 21, 2014

Rag Quilts

Have you ever made a rag quilt before? I have made several. They are a great way to use up those pieces of batting you have been saving for something! I have got all the batting cut out for a new rag quilt for one of my daughter-in-laws. I really wanted to have it made by the first of August for her birthday but that ain't gonna happen!!! I made my son a rag quilt years ago and she wants one of her own. Now my goal is to have it done for Christmas.
 I made these two rag quilts years ago. This one was my first and it has been washed so many times that you can almost see through the fabric it is so thin.

I also made this one which I used when we camped a lot. I love snuggling under one of these rag quilts in the winter time.
 With Passion,
Carrie P.

20 comments:

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Oh my gosh! I have not made a rag quilt in years. I forgot how much fun they are! Keep us posted!

Abby and Stephanie said...

I've never made one. This will certainly be a fun and warm gift and I'm sure it'll be well loved, but get more in December than in August.

sunny said...

I'd like to try one some day, but haven't yet. They look so cozy.

WoolenSails said...

I like how those look and I do plan on making one. I got some bandana fabric that I won, then I got two tones of denim, so planning on making one for my daughter with it. I also got the go, rag cutter, so hoping that makes it easier for me and then maybe start making some for charity.

Debbie

Preeti said...

Your old rag quilts are very nice! Looking forward to what youare going to make now.

Robin said...

I have made a couple of those! My husband loves the one I made for us-- he uses it nearly every night as his tv blanket.

Christmas sounds like an excellent goal, if only because then it will be chilly enough your DIL will want to use it right then!!! :)

Hazel said...

Those rag quilts are beautiful, and I am hoping that you tell us how to do it as you progress!

Raewyn said...

The very first quilt I finished (!!) was a rag quilt for my newborn nephew. I was very pleased with it but never really found out if it was loved or what happened to it! I never took a photo of it either. I have all sorts of flannel/wincyette fabrics from children sewing in the past and one day plan to make another. I'm sure I'll get a photo this time round!

Leeanne said...

I love them, they are a great quilt for a gift as well as for kids to learn the steps of making a quilt.

Rebecca in AK said...

I have not made one of these yet. They certainly look soft and comfy! I will have to add a rag quilt to my list!!

gpc said...

What a good idea for MY daughter in law! The two I've made in the past were from 5" squares and I love them both -- I know who they are for but neither one has been given away yet! But it would go faster if I made the squares bigger, right? -- how large do you make your squares?

Melody said...

I made a few of these a couple of years ago. Very cosy.

Karen said...

I haven't made any but they do look cozy and comfy.

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

These are awesome....

KaHolly said...

I've made a few. They make really good quilts for men if you use homespun fabrics. You are right, it's a great way to up all those skinny pieces of batting that you just can't make yourself throw away! Good luck on your goal.

Unknown said...

I've never made one Carrie - But I will have to add a rag quilt to my list...
Your rag quilts are very beautiful!!
Warm hugs
Deborah

Pinnylea Creations said...

They are the snuggliest of quilts for winter. Yours look beautiful and well loved.

Candace said...

I actually started ones several years ago using old jeans that Mr Squash helped me tear apart. It just got too heavy so it sits in a bin! Your DIL will be so happy to get hers!
Cheers!

Lynn said...

Thanks for the reminder. I made a couple of rag quilts years ago. But forgot all about them. Just the other day I was debating throwing scraps of batting out. Now I no what to do with them!

Sil said...

Your rag quilts look so cozy and nice! Happy stitching.