Springtime! Everyone is looking forward to it in this part of the world. Signs coming up all around. During the winter I tried something that I have not done before. I love to garden so I tried to grow some veggies during the winter. I planted these seeds last fall. We had some leftover bricks and blocks from other projects so I built up these containers around the areas and then got some Plexiglas from Lowes hardware store to put over the plants as they grew during the winter. Each section was sort of like a mini greenhouse. I really didn't expect the plants to grow too big because of really cold weather but these are cool weather crops. I guess I expected a little more growth. With spring coming the plants are taking off.

We have eaten some salads with fresh lettuce and spinach.

Here is some broccoli. Maybe I will get a some before it gets to warm. I need to thin out some of the plants.

Here is the little bit of carrots. For some reason I just have the hardest time growing carrots.

I thought I would show you some flowery pillows that I have made in the last several years. This first pattern was part of quilt that I thought I would make and I changed my mind but I like the block so I just made a pillow out of the block.

This was an earlier attempt at applique. Click on the picture and see what you don't want to do. You will see where some fabric from the leaves shows through the flower fabric. This was a pattern from American Patchwork Magazine.

And here is an embroidered pillow. I am not sure what patten this is but it might be a Crabapple Hill.


With Passion, Carrie P.
Do not lose your inward peace for anything whatsoever, even if your whole world seems upset.
St. Francis de Sales
27 comments:
It looks like Spring may come for real this weekend. Thanks for sharing your springtime lovelies.
Wonderful winter garden idea! I had a little vegetable garden in my back yard but last fall we put in a patio so that was the end of the garden. Never had much luck with carrots either! Probably because of our clay soil. Needed sandy soil like Sue said.
Once again, lovely applique--even your early effort!
Perhaps one day I'll have the space for a wonderful veggie patch. I do grow some herbs in a pot and 2 tomato plants a year. Nothing more wonderful than tomatoes warmed by the sun. Very pretty pillows!
Carrie, I'm sure you're going to hear as much advice on growing carrots as you'll have commenters, but here's my experience with carrots. Indeed, they like a rich sandy soil but my Mom used to say that carrots don't reach their full potential, taste-wise, til after the first frost while they are still in the ground.
Thanks for the head's up with respect to learning from other's mistakes...like your leaves showing through the flowers. Somehow when you see it,it sticks...rather than to just be told about it.
Thanks as always for sharing.
What a lovely garden...I'd love to have one someday...! And I love the Crabapple Hill stitchery!
Mini greenhouses, what a great idea!!! and your pillows are so Spring like and beaudtful, if there was a mistake you were the only one to see it!
oh, the plants look yummy! what a great idea with the pexiglass! love your pillows!
Carrie it is wonderful that you can grow edibles.
I simply love the pillow blocks. I do that too sometimes.
Yummmm fresh veggies. The closest I would ever get to flowers are like your embroidered one LOL.
Crispy
Oh Carrie, I think you need to send my that needle point pillow over here in Il so I can look at it more closely LOL...it is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!! i JUST LOVE ALL YOUR EASTER PROJECTS!
And to be in a climate that you can actually grow plants and watch them grow outside during the winter, well, now I am jealous, (just kidding)
I really am beginning to not like (could think of another word) the State I live in...to many yucky days, dreary like England days, rain mixed with snow just for the heck of it, as soon as the sun breaks out, I am outside even if it is still cold 40-50's.
Love your blog and that saying at the end of your blog is beautiful!
Lots of Hugs, Mary
I always think I want to grow my own vegetables but then I think about the time away from quilting and I decide, nah, I'm not doing that!
I love the pillows!
Carrie,
Oh My, I have seeds to sow but I am afraid it might be early here, your pictures are tempting me to get out there.
Love the pillows, especially that little sweet embroidery, i have a tea-towel that would love so cute on.
Doesn't the weather feel grand today? I put out my hummingbird feeders! (saw on the map there are already sightings in our area)
As always...love your applique work and pillows!!!
Your garden looks great!! And your pillows so sweet!
That embroidered pillow really is "simply sweet"! I love the appliqued pillows, too. Lovely work.
It's so satisfying watching the vegies grow. I bet they taste better than the store bought ones.
The pillows are lovely, good use for orphan blocks.
Plants...pillows? I'm calling Southern Living to have them do a front page spread on you....very clever girl! My lettuce doesn't look that good at all. What month did you plant those in...
Love your little gardens! I hope your broccoli comes through before summer for you. I've only ever grown it once and it was yummy!
The cushions are lovely, especially the one you made from a quilt block - a wonderful idea I may need to borrow. :-)
Your plants all look very healthy Carrie.....your first needleturn looks not too bad, I would like it if my first project looked that good...
Your pillows are beautiful. Thank you for sharing. The stitching is exquisite! I adore the "simply sweet" pillow.
Taught me something that I would have never thought about.
Way to go, Carrie - you made your own version of a cold frame and it worked!
I love that embroidered pillow - Meg Hawkey is one of my favorites and her studio isn't too far from the Squash House!
Cheers!
Looks like spring :)
Great pillows and blue and yellow pieced quilts!
Great garden photos!! You obviously have a green thumb. Love your pillows.
I have always wanted to try hot boxes like that. Yummy fresh lettuce and spinach!
Those pillows are lovely. Doesn't look like beginner's work to me.
What a neat way for growing plants, almost creates its own greenhouse with the warmth from the bricks. Those are great pillows and I even get tricked every now and then.
Ah, spring! I'm so jealous of your green thumb. How lovely it must be to eat lettuce from your own garden. I love your pillows... they are so lovely and just evoke spring.
Post a Comment