Monday, July 16, 2012

Book Review

Heart Felt Holidays by Kathy Sheldon and Amanda Carestio. Let me tell you the story how I came to be asked to do this book review.
 See this page in the book? Lark Crafts was having a 4th of July giveaway for this bunting made by Constanca Cabral.
 I won the giveaway and decided to hang it up around my sewing room design wall all year round. When I go into my sewing room I feel like there is a celebration going on in it. Isn't it a fun decoration? I sent a link from my blog of this picture to Kathy Sheldon who is one of the creators of this book so she could see it hanging in my sewing room. She then went to visit my blog and saw the wool heart I made for the Red, White, and Blue block hop. Kathy then asked if I would like to review the book. I said yes because you know I love creating things with my hands.

 Look at some of the cute fabrics used for the bunting.
I wanted to try to make something from the book to see how the instructions were written. I am one of these people who reads them before I get started on any project. The instructions are clear and well written with added tips throughout the books.  So the first thing I made was this Lavender Tea Bag Sachet.

When I saw the sachet I knew it was something I would make because if you follow my blog you know I grew lots of lavender this spring which I dried. The sachet is full of my very own lavender. It is such a sweet little idea for a sachet. I did applique a pink heart on the other side of the "tea" label.

 Next I decided to make these adorable Christmas ornaments which you will have a chance to win during the "Think Christmas" block hop.
 So what is my review of this book? On the cover of the book you can see some really cute projects you can make for the holidays. The tea bag lavender sachet is  a project made for Mother's Day. There are projects in this book for holidays you wouldn't even think of making like Groundhog day and Martin Luther King day. This book is perfect for those of you who like to make decorations for your home during holidays. There are several projects that you could make for your children or grandchildren for their birthdays or Halloween. If you have not worked with felt before the beginning of the book gives you some felt basics plus diagrams of the embroidery stitches that are used throughout the book. The templates for each project are in the back of the book.

When my children were young I did decorate for the lots of different holidays. Now with this book I look forward to creating some new decorations for grandchildren one day. But in the mean time I might just create the leaf coasters and table runner that are in the book to decorate my home for fall.

So I conclude that if you like making holiday projects using felt this is the book for you. You can get this book Heart-felt Holidays and their other book Fa La La La Felt from Amazon or Barnes and Noble for less than $10.

Thank you Kathy for the bunting and the book.

With Passion,
Carrie P.


I am linking this post up to Kathy's Quilts for her Slow Sunday Stitching because I made them yesterday, Sunday.

13 comments:

Brandie said...

I love the idea of a sachet! I don't have as much lavender as you but I could make at least one sachet. Great idea, why didn't I think of that?

Wendy said...

I love doing handwork, looks like a cute book to have around.

Clara {Clover and Violet} said...

Looks like a great book, I love the banner!

Quilter Kathy said...

Love the little lavender sachet...and how great that you have your own dried lavender!
Thanks for linking up!

Sheila said...

Cute little lavender sachet and this book looks like a lot of fun , your little Christmas decorations are sweet.

Kathy H said...

I love the tea bag sachets and those ornaments are so cute.

Abby and Stephanie said...

I celebrate Groundhog's Day so I'm very curious about a craft for that special day. :o)

Allie said...

Congrats on your win Carrie, and thanks for the review - I love the projects!

Zuzan said...

A tea bag of lavender how simple to hang from a coathanger for that special outfit.

Love the Xmas ornaments too.

Nanette Merrill said...

The bunting is darling.

KatieQ said...

Thanks for the great book review. I love the lavender sachets.

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

You are ahead of the gift giving holiday season now....that is wonderful. Lavender is one of my favorites too...and I grow some...I need to pick it and dry it too.

Smiles,
Kelly

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

Looks like a wonderful book and I love those lavender sachets.
xx