After two and half days of life not being "normal", things are finally returning to the way I like them. The day the storm hit the temperature went up to 92* and very humid. I was on my way home from the post office when I saw the menacing black clouds. I was hoping I could beat the storm home but I saw it closing in from my car rear view mirror. Next thing I knew I was being pummeled by rain and wind. Driving home, which was within 7 miles from the post office, was like driving through a maze. Trees were down every where. There are three ways to get to my house. Two were blocked by downed trees and power lines. Finally, I made it home safe and sound with no damage to our home or downed trees.
The next day was gorgeous with no humidity and temperatures in the low 80's. I spent most of my time outside watching the garden and lavender grow. :0) I was very grateful that the weather was so great.With no power we loaded all our food from the refrigerator in ice chests left over from our tent camping days. I had to go up to the store each day to buy more ice. I also had to buy bottled water because we use water from a well and our house is total electric. We used buckets filled with water from the rain barrels to flush the toilets. We drove over to #2 son's house to take showers. This time was not bad living with out power because it only last the 2 1/2 days. One winter we went seven days. Now that was rough.
I picked some peas and carrots which we cooked on our gas grill.
I also harvested some Walla Walla Washington onions. Thanks Candace!
While sitting outside I watched Mr. P. work on getting a spot ready for our
1100 gallon water tank. This will hold water so that I can water the garden with a hose instead of carrying watering cans up to the garden. I am getting to old to carry gallons of water up to the garden.
While watching Mr. P. work I was pretty much a lady of leisure. I worked on hexagons and
embroidered the newest block from Red Brolly.
So today this lady of leisure has been working at getting the house cleaned, clothes washed, and cooking dinner. Maybe tomorrow I can use my sewing machine to work on some blocks from Doreen's sew along.
With Passion,
Carrie P.
13 comments:
Oh my...so glad you are safe and can get back to those little things we take for granted , like laundry and showers!! LOL
Enjoy!!
Oh my Carrie! I didn't realize the storm was that bad. So glad you made it home safely that day. Those power lines are scary.
The veges look yummy and you made some good progress with hand work.
I still have homework to do on Doreen's project. But I will get to it.
Glad things are back to normal for you. :)
Im glad you got your power back. Mom and dad were without for 1.5 days. Dad got out the generator to run the frig/freezer and a few lights. It wasa a crazy storm. Mom actually texted me to stay at work when it was happening!
Good to know you are safe - isn't it incredible how quickly our daily routines can get so twisted without power. That's when you want to have some handwork available Nd a good temporary light source! Living in the country we have learned to keep bottled water on hand and have 2 generators. Lugging water from the pond for toilet flushing in the middle of the night is not a fun task.
Enjoy your restored power!
Thank GOD it wasn't a tornado! Glad you will be getting back to normal.
Isn't it amazing how wonderful 'normal' can be? Glad you made it home safe and sounds, and that you didn't suffer any damage.
Glad you are safe!!!
Glad to hear things are back to normal, that storm sounded dreadful .
Glad all is well. I know it's rewarding to harvest your garden and enjoy the bounty. Our weather has been hot and humid and I think only the tomato plants are enjoying it!
Yay for normal! Reminds me of all the things I take for granted when I flip a switch or turn a faucet...
We sure realize how wonderful out modern conveniences are after being without for a couple of days! Your garden is looking so rich and bountiful, Carrie! Yay to Mr. P for getting you a water tank!
Cheers!
Oh, the trials and tribulations! Glad you were safe and lost only your electricity. Love your Red Brolly block! I've saved the patterns, but have so much handwork piled up, it may be some time before I ever get to them! Good for you for keeping up. I envy you your beautiful yard! I know it's a lot of hard work.
Phew! You don't sound at all like a lady of leisure, Carrie. So busy! :)
Post a Comment