Thursday, August 6, 2009

Bodie Island Lighthouse, OBX

I thought I would do a post this morning while we are waiting for some rain to pass by.
Yesterday we went into a town called Manteo and did a little shopping. It has been very hot and humid here so it felt good to walk into each air conditioned shop. We stopped in one shop that was full of weaving looms which I will share those pictures with you all later. First I need to take a picture of the table runner I bought.
Anyway, on our way into Manteo we stopped at the Bodie Island lighthouse. This lighthouse was erected in 1872. This plaque was in the entry way and you will notice how the spelling is different. Bodie versus Body. We were told by the volunteer outside the lighthouse that in 1872 the people making the plaque just spelled Body the only way they knew how because the name is pronounced "body." The name of the lighthouse we were told was named after an English family. Bodie. I think it is so neat to see the longitude and latitude on the plaque too.
You can not go to the top of this is lighthouse because the metal stair case needs work and is not safe but we told the lighthouse has a new budget so they are going to repair the stairs so one day it will be open to the public.
Today we are going to take a ferry to Okracoke Island and drive around the island and see another light house which we have not ever seen before. We will stop by the Hatteras lighthouse too. So these posts are for Belinda. I know many of us love lighthouses and she is one them. Enjoy.

With Passion,
Carrie P.

A smile is the light in the window of your face that tells people you're at home. ~Author Unknown

ps. I just wanted to let you all know about the quotes that I post on the end of my entries. The one for today was from a web site but most of the other ones are from a calendar that I got at the beginning of the year. I am glad that you read and enjoy the quotes.

14 comments:

Karen said...

Ooooh, you must have gone to the "Cotton Gin"!! I just love Manteo. It is a cute quaint little town. Have a great time while in OBX. I hope you rented a place on the beach where you will at least get some breezes off the ocean!

Browndirtcottage said...

.....LOL...THANK YOU CARRIE....I ran...not walked..all the way to your post hoping you had a lighthouse....I LOVE IT....you lucky girl you. I've been up and down all over New England coast and have seen a lot of Ligthouses...but not this one.....Ok...now...how about some 'covered bridges'???????

Kaaren said...

Sounds like you're enjoying your vacation, Carrie.

I can't wait to see a photo of the Hattaras lighthouse. I painted it oh soooo many years ago from a photo that I took while we were vacationing there.

What? No quilt shops yet?

Allie said...

Love this lighthouse - so pretty! And I love this quote - I enjoy them all but I specially like this one.

Rumi said...

Bad for you but good for us that it was rainy there; we got to see some of the fun you are having! Looking forward for more (posts that is, not rain!)

Abby and Stephanie said...

Today's quote is perfect for you post. Glad you're having a great time.

Robin said...

It sounds like y'all are having a nice getaway! Your lighthouse pictures are fabulous. Thanks for sharing some of its story... just fascinating! Can't wait to see what goodies you've picked up! :)

Crispy said...

I love lighthouses, I wish I was there!!

Crispy

Sherri said...

I love lighthouses too! And I always enjoy your quotes...what a wonderful calendar you must have!

Deb said...

carrie, sounds like you are having a wonderful time, I am so pleased. Enjoy the rest of your holiday.

Dorothy said...

Carrie, hope you're having a wonderful, relaxing holiday. Thanks for sharing photos of the Lighthouse. I too always enjoy the quotes you add to the end of your posts.

Betsy said...

Carrie, Okcracoke was my favorite lighthouse. I was always fascinated by the fact that it is in someones's actual backyard!

Salem Stitcher said...

If you get a chance to go up to Corolla Lighthouse, it's worth the drive and unless things have changed, you can climb to the top.

Lindsey said...

I love that area - such a neat place...have a great time...I'm having so much success with your applique techniques! Thanks for your help.
Lindsey