Can you see that stain on that old applique block I found several weeks ago in an antique store?

Recently I bought the book called Sugar Sacks by
Glenna Bailey. In it she mentioned using OxiClean to soak old feed sacks in the solution to clean the fabrics.

I decided to soak the applique block, a dish towel, and the crochet lace in my kitchen sink.

Look how brown the water is after soaking those three things for several hours. After soaking them then I rinsed them out in clean water several times to make sure the solution was all out.

Now look at this lace. I thought is was done in beige thread but it was just dirt and dust. The stain came out of the block and the towel looks almost like new again.

Amazing!!
With Passion,
Carrie P.
Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow. Psalm 51:7
32 comments:
Amazing.....I'll have to keep this one in mind. Thanks!
Its now on my shopping list. Thanks so much. Precious applique, I'm glad you could save it.
Wow, looks really bright and white. I have an old quilt in good condition with rust stains, I wonder if it causes any color fade.
I love Oxiclean - I throw a scoop in my laundry now - what a difference.
Thanks for the great idea I have just notice I have a candelwicking doll that need to be washed its now brownish in color and hope it will be the same off to go and get some Oxiclean.
I swear by this stuff and buy it in the big boxes at Costco.
I have Glenna's book and haven't tried to "clean" anything yet. Great knowing what's old is new again. I'll give it a try.
Carrie, can I be your agent?
I'm going to send this post to the manufacturers of Oxiclean because I'm sure they'll hire you straight away!
Wow! I'm sold! It's already added to my grocery shopping list!
The proof is in the pudding...or on this case...Oxiclean!
That is awesome results!
They look great! I used to use oxyclean. Now I use what I call "moxyclean." It's my own home made, cheaper version. It's just half 20 Mule Team Borax and half Arm and Hammer Washing Soda (not baking soda...WASHING). I have found it works just like oxyclean. I used it to take out stains and it is great on smells like running clothes and such.
Great tip! Thank you!!!
I have Glenna's book too....I had forgotten about this method...so glad you reminded me!
I'm so glad they all came clean - beautiful things to come!
I'd heard Oxi-Clean worked, but never needed to try it. Thanks for that, but more important, thanks for the Bible verse. It's one of my all-time favorites when I'm feeling extra sinful. It offers a comforting mental image.. to be assured I can be made as white as snow, for however briefly I stay that way!
I will keep this in mind. I don't have anything to use it on right now.
That is amazing .... I will have to pick some up.
Wow! So good to know about that, thanks!
Wow - I have one of those huge boxes from Costco! I always thought it would be too harsh on old linens, but I'm not afraid of it after seeing your result! Thanks for sharing!
Cheers!
I adore glenna. She's smart and sassy.
That is amazing! I should get some.
Wow! Amazing, looks like a have to get some oxiclean at my next shopping trip.
Wow I'm going to have to get some of that stuff!!
Crispy
Well I'm tucking that little tidbit away for future reference - thanks for sharing.
Karen
Wow. I've gotta get some of that stuff.
That's amazing! I'm keeping this in mind!
So glad you had great results with the oxy clean...I think it's interesting that on the dishtowel the applique is done with a contrasting thread. It's something I've never seen. Is that common?
Just be wary of the OxyClean laundry stain remover in the spray bottle. I ruined two shirts with it. It left splotches where the spray had bleached out some of the color.
Good to know, thanks!
Wow - that stuff really works! Did I miss seeing the antique applique block? I'd sure like to see it.
Wow! Your before and afters are pretty amazing-- that stuff really worked wonders. I'll definitely have to remember that!
Nice work! Great verse too :-)
I am going to the store TONIGHT to get some of this stuff. I think I have some old lace that this might help brighten up! Thanks for the tip!!!! I can hardly wait to get started!
Post a Comment