There are several Scrap-Applique methods Kay features in her new book. Shrinking Strips, Building Bits and Bobs, Lay Down and Fuse, and Crazy Patch which I used for my project. You can see here how I started out piecing my scraps with a flip and sew method. This technique uses a fusible interfacing on the underneath side which is completely illustrated in the book. I am a visual person and all the methods are thoroughly described with great illustrations.
My scrap-applique circles are ready to be fused.
Next I pieced the background.
Then fused and sewed the circles onto the background. A fun and quick completed project.
I had fun playing in the Scrap-Applique Playground. There are eight projects in this book. I plan to learn more of the techniques so that I can use my scraps to make some more of Kay's projects.
If you would like a chance to win a copy of this book, be sure to leave a comment and a way for me to contact you. I will reveal the winner tomorrow morning.
Unfortunately the giveaway is only open to the U.S. and Canada due to the cost of shipping.
Don't forget Book-A-Round continues until June 16 where Kay will finish the tour.
With Passion,
Carrie P.
.jpg)
.jpg)
82 comments:
Fun project. Looks like an interesting book. I'm putting it on my wishlist, if I want to really appliqué one day (o:
Shipping costs are really incredible these days. And it will most likely not become less ;o)
Beautiful Carrie! How fun!
Beautiful pillow! Thanks for this giveaway!
Fun projects and clever way to use scraps - Marilyn
Carrie, this book looks awesome and the circles look fun. Thanks for sharing a copy of this book.
That book does look like a lot of fun. Your pillow turned out great!! I like the colors you chose. This weekend while assembling a quilt top, I also started leaders and enders quilt blocks( I chose granny squares). I think I'll get this book because I have a lot of scraps that are strips less than 2.5" but too big to throw away, and it sounds perfect for that.
This is a really cute quilt! I have this book on my birthday list - I SEW want to play!
Fun project(s) - this looks like a must own book.
Thank you for sharing the opportunity to win this new book.
Your projects are so cute. This book looks like it would be a great one to own. Have a great day :)
I love the name Pop Beads and remember playing with them years ago. That's a nice project for using up scraps.
Love what I have seen of this book so far. Thanks for the chance to win.
This one has been on my list. It would be great to win one.
Love your projects from the book! Really cute! Thanks for the chance to win the book!
Such a fun project. I remember pop beads. I bet there may still be some hiding in my mom's house to this day.
Wow, what a gorgeous pillow! I think I really need some pillows like that for my couch. This book looks like a lot of fun. Thanks for the chance to win!
So fun. I'd love a chance to play with these ideas.
Love all the projects I have seen from the book. Thanks for a chance to win a copy.
This book sparks my interest. Please toss my name into the hat. Cool pillow..modern looking too! That is something that would be made for my son and my future DIL.
What fun....I hope you find time to make some of these projects. I'll check out the book....sounds like fun.
Smiles,
Kelly
This book looks like so much fun, plus a great way to use up scraps. I'm enjoying the tour, thanks for the chance to win!
Circles are really catching my eye lately. If I don't win {but i'm sure i will}, this is a book I'm going to buy. Love the scrapy thing going on.
This method makes a great looking pillow.
This looks like a fun method - and I love the pillow with the thin lines. Very effective!
Very interesting. I've thought about that method before. Love scraps. Looks like a great book.
Enjoyed the information. Looking forward to getting the book
I love this pattern. It would be so festive using Christmas fabric. The different techniques sound interesting.
What a pretty and simple design. It looks so easy. I agree with Wanda who said it would be so festive using Christmas fabrics. It reminds me of ornaments. So much fun!
such a pretty pillow ... love those scrap circles! thanx for showing off the pop beads, and the chance to win a copy of this marvelous book.
Your interpration of the hanging circles is GREAT! Seeing all of the different projects and adapations makes me giddy.
I love circles in projects. Yours is really cute.
I love your pillow top. It would be perfect in a dorm room which is on my radar! The book looks like a great scrap stash buster. Thanks for the opportunity.
Your pillow came out beautifully, fun one to do with different types of fabrics for the seasons. I just love the front cover and would love to win a copy.
Debbie
I think that would make a great quilt also and use up a lot of scraps - I have tons (not kidding). Thanks for the chance and for sharing your neat pillow project from Kay's book.
what a fun way to use up scraps, thanks for the book giveaway.
I would love the book! I went back to read and look at the fun things people have made. I am really working at getting over my fear of applique!
Love your circles in the project. What an inventive way to use scraps. Would like to see what else is in this book.
Wow! That looks like great fun. I have lots of smaller scraps to try this technique out. Would love to win a copy of the book.
Thanks for sharing your project and the give-away.
Can't wait to try this fun technique! Love the pillow project. Your circles look grand!
Looks like a great book. Thanks for a chance to win.
A fun book and love your pillow. thanks for the chance!
I love how happy and cheerful the popbeads pattern is! An awesome way to utilize scraps of favorite fabric scraps!!
sowingstitches [at] yahoo [dot] com
Love your scrappy circles. Thanks for the chance to win this great new book.
I love the modern look of the pillow even though I seldom choose that style. I think you may have convinced me to give it a try!
Applique has always intimidated me-- but I see that changing with this book! Thanks for the chance to win.
Edie
Love that project done as a pillow! I may have to try that. :)
Very cute concept, with lots of exciting applications! Would love to "play around" with ideas from the book!
The book looks wonderful! thanks for the review and giveaway.
I love all these adorable projects to use our scraps with! If I don't win a book, I'll have to buy it! :D
Love your applique quilts in your banner. They're so bright and happy. Thanks for the opportunity to win Kay Mackenzie's book! It will help me take care of all those scraps I'm hanging on to!!
What a fun and easy way to use up scraps, Carrie! I have a huge bin just waiting to be used!
Cheers!
I remember pop beads when I was a kid. I thought they were so fun and it would be a blast making a quilt with some childhood memories. Thanks for the chance.
Wonderful ideas and I can (unfortunately) remember Pop Beads! Argh! Well, hoping I can win a book and make some for nostalgia's sake.
Such wonderfully cute projects in this book. I love them! See 'about' in my profile for contact info. Thanks for a great giveaway. :)
Whew! I thought at first the giveaway was only open to the U.S. but then I saw Canada.
What a lovely book and a quick project. I have some couch pillows that are in dire need of recovering and this will definitely do the trick. Many thanks for the chance to win.
This is indeed a cute project. I like the idea of making the pop beads 3-d too. Thanks for the giveaway.
Carrie, I love your blog, has beautiful projects and Pop Beads Cushion is great.
Hugs
Hi Carrie, thanks for the chance to win...love your Pop Beads Pillow :D
Fun projects and I am always happy to have lots of pictures to help me along.
What a fun way to use up scraps! Thanks for the chance on the book.
I want to play, too! I'd love to win this book.
That is to cute! I love your pillow :) I keep seeing the scrap-applique playground book and little projects for it, it's going to be a "I have to buy this" book I think!
Love your project. bobkat1896@sbcglobal.net Kathy Lancaster
Looks like a great book, thanks for the chance to win a copy!
Love your project Carrie and this looks like a fantastic book!
Great giveaway, thanks! Seen several good comments on other blogs.
I think I would love this book! You need to share it at guild tomorrow! I love your pillow!
Love your pillow. The scrap placements in the circles are awesome. Reminds me of using a microscope. If we placed the appliqued lines under a microscope, each circle is what you'd see. (hmm..this may only make sense in my head)...heheh
Glad to meet you and enjoyed visiting your site and seeing your projects. thanks for the fun participating in the give away!
Just met Kay at our guild quilt show. What a designer! Sure would love to have her newest and wonderful book. Fingers crossed.
LOve your project. Great idea
I remember pop beads...and your pillow is a great way to use up those little scraps. Thanks for the chance to win.
your scrap project looks wonderful. Another cushion for your son and dil?
No worries about the giveaway. Good luck to the locals!
I love scraps, and would love to win the book.
I really enjoy learning new ways to applique and new projects to work on. Thank you for the opportunity to win a copy of her book.
I am really liking your version Miss Carrie!
I love the round applique. It always makes me smile when I see a project like this. I should probably win this book so I could try it out.
That is such a neat pattern, Carrie! A pillow is perfect!
Everyday i follow this hop i learn more about this book and I am very very interested in purchasing or winning it. Thanks for the opportunity.
Elizabeth
whistlebet57@yahoo.com
Carrie, you are definitely my pillow hero! You make the most beautiful pillows.
Looks like a really nice book. I love your version of pop beads!
Oh this book is going on my wish list! Two nice things about it, it looks like fun to stitch with and I found some great new blogs....like yours! Thank you!
Maria
I'm really bad about scraps. I generally toss them. But it is definitely fun to see the creative ways others find to maximize their potential. And it looks like you picked a fun project! Maybe one day I'll have the patience to try something like this. :)
Post a Comment