Here is the last of our summer day trip. The next stop after Welcome was Lexington. Our first stop was the Candy Store. This store had more candy than antiques but it was fun to walk around.

When you first enter the store up on a high shelf I spotted this display of thread. Oh, it was so beautiful to see all those wooden spools full of that shiny thread. It was for sale too. $250.00 but I didn't buy it. I had to remind myself that I have a daughter in college. Oh!! but it was so pretty!!

There are several other antique stores in Lexington. All on Main Street. I found this cook booklet with a copyright of 1930 in one of the shops. Recipes for using jams and jellies.

In another store I found some plain white handkerchiefs.

All along Main Street you will see painted pigs. Lexington is famous for their Bar-b-Que.

If you travel to Lexington your husband will love to go with you. He can go in this hardware store while you shop in the antique stores and there is one fabric store on Main Street too. It is called Verona's Fabrics. This Hardware store has everything. It is better than if you were to put Lowes Hardware and Walmart together. You might even like wandering the aisle yourself. Some really neat stuff.

Some more of the pigs. This is my favorite. There were a whole lot more than I am showing you.



As we were leaving Lexington we stopped at one more new quilt shop called Quilting Quest. I just found some background fabric for applique. Nothing real exciting. After leaving there, we stopped at one of my favorite restaurants, Cracker Barrel, for lunch. Then it was off to Thomasville to this shop.

This big ole' chair is in downtown Thomasville. When you see this you know you are one block away from the antique mall.

When you spot this water tower you know you are right across the street from the antique mall. This picture is for
Bear Hugs All Around.
This place was fun to look around. The ladies that work there are real friendly too. The first booth I walked into I felt like I hit the jackpot. Look at all these cook books from 1950 I found. Such great recipes except so many of them call for shortening.
Can anyone give me the equivalent of something that is more healthy to use instead of shortening?

And here is the most unique thing I found. It is a card table cover. On each of the four corners is the embroidery with the little ties to keep the table cloth in place.

It was a fun weekend and I hope you enjoyed sharing some of it with me. Now I am off to hang out with the girls in my applique bee.
With Passion,
Carrie P.
The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt
23 comments:
This looks like a lot of fun.. and some bargains found!!
Loved the threads.. but $250 ..pheeww!!! :o)
I love the red & white piggy too!
Thanks for taking us on your get-a-way...I enjoyed it :o)
I have 2 daughters in college so I'm always having to remind myself of that...I would have been sooo tempted by those threads though.
Looks like I need to spend some time in Lexington. We usually just stop long enough to eat at Speedy's BBQ...my favorite.
Thanks for the photo of the water tank! I love those things.
Carrie,
Thanks for sharing your trip, I love antique sewing displays too. Your linens purchases are very nice. Safe travels!
Treasures galore! I recently saw a thread display...locked in a glass case. Similar price but oh so wonderful.
Those are quite the pigs! That thread looks marvelous - I bet it was hard to resist.
Thanks so much Carrie...I'd love to take a little trip like this...but with 3 in college it may be awhile! But your post was wonderful...made me feel like I was there perusing the wonderful things in the shops!
Thanks for the tour , love to go there some day
check this site out for you question about shortening
(i always use butter)
http://www.cooksrecipes.com/Q_and_A's/hope_qa_150_vegetable_shortening_substitutes.html
I thought it really was a candy shop until I read more carefully. I spent a lot of my childhood wandering around the small hardware stores in our town with my father. I really miss those old hardware stores - funny cause I was bored out of my mind then.
...and just right up the road from me. :-) We went last year and also enjoyed BBQ. :-) I really enjoyed the hardware store there. Was that fabric shop still there...not really a quilt shop..some older stuff.
I remember that town well. You gotta get used to eating vinegar based barbecue. Caught me off guard the first time I had it. God those threads were beautiful.
Thanks for the great tour, Carrie! So glad there is something for the "boys", too! If you find a healthy substitute for shortening let me know - I'd be doing a lot more baking - LOL!
Cheers!
Love the pigs LOL. I know that I used applesauce to substitute for butter in cookies once but they didn't come out very well.
Crispy
I love the pigs! I would have been a little tempted with the threads too.
Hi Carrie--Like the pigs--but loved your treasures too--I use coconut oil--it is a little softer than shortening--probably more on the order of lard--I found it at walmart even--in with the regular shortenings--things I have used it for always come out ok--if it is really warm--it will even be a bit on the liquid side--but still seems to work fine!!!! Have fun baking--hugs, just, Di
Lol, Carrie those pigs are hilarious. The card table throw is delightful, a wonderful find.
Hi Carrie
What a fun time and great antique shops. I don't know if I could have passed up that thread display but I certainly would have passed on the price...ouch!
I truly love the cookbooks...I have several of my own and just look through them from time to time and enjoy.
Love the oinkers too!
x lori
What a lovely trip, so much to see and so many one could also buy! The cook books must be so interesting, and I'm intrigued by your question because I have never seen shortening here...The pigs are funny, I like the pirate one!
You made some great stops, right here in our own backyard, too! Thanks for opening my eyes to the treasures that abound locally. Shortening, YUM! ;)
I love those pigs!!! And I'd love to browse that hardware store - funny the things you can find in hardware to help in the sewing room, lol. The card table cover is wonderful!
What a fun trip! Love all the pigs!
I use an organic vegetable shortening made by Spectrum Naturals that is non-hydrogenated and has zero grams of trans fats. It is made from palm oil. It looks and bakes like regular shortening. I found it in the natural foods section of my grocery store. Hope that helps.
The pigs are too funny! I love seeing your finds and your trips!
It looks like y'all had another fun trip! Those pigs are so much fun. I love the little lighthouse one. And the card table cover is so cute! Makes me think of my mom who is a bridge fanatic. :)
Post a Comment