Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Last Hoorah Continued

When we were at Granddaddy's antique mall I picked up one of these maps. When you open it up it has dots that represent the antique malls in North Carolina. I picked up the last one there but I did pick up 6 more at another store. If you would like one, email me privately with your snail mail address I will put one in the mail to you.

So now the Saturday begins! The plan was that my husband was going to cut down a dead tree on our property and chop it up for future fire wood. An all day chore. Remember Saturdays were our day to work around the house. He really did not want to do it and he was glad that we were getting some much needed rain. So I asked him if he wanted to go exploring again and he jumped at the chance. Besides checking antique stores we really do like to drive around and explore different small towns. So the towns we decided to visit this day was Welcome, Lexington, and Thomasville.
Today I will share with you what I found in Welcome at Finishing Touch Antiques and Consignment store. It is a small shop but it is packed with all kinds of stuff. I found this crochet lace wrapped around a piece of cardboard. I think it is hand crochet because if you look at the two ends you can see the difference in the points. The top section looks like the beginning and as the person went along the crochet got better and better. It has some stains and spots so I am going to soak it in some Oxiclean and see if they will come out. When I got it home I measured it and there was 10 yards.
Now for those of you who crochet, if I wanted to use a yard of this in a project how do I go about cutting it where it doesn't all unravel on me?
I found this old towel with this embroidery on it. The picture makes it look much better than it does. The stains on it are really bad but I just loved the embroidery on it. I will soak it too.
And the last thing I found at this shop was this pillow case in excellent condition. Look at the crochet border.
I will share Lexington and Thomasville tomorrow. I don't want to make the post to long and bore you. But I did want to share two more things here today. There is going to be an outdoor Antique Festival in Liberty, North Carolina (rain or shine) on September 25-26 from 8-5pm. They do this twice a year. Over 375 dealers come to this 100 acre farm to have this festival. We have not ever been so it might be fun to visit one time.
The other thing is that Bonnie over at Calamity Jane's Cottage is having a fantastic giveaway. Her birthday is also September 4 so tell her Happy Birthday and tell her I sent you.

With Passion,
Carrie P.

Color is my day-long obsession, joy and torment. Claude Monet

18 comments:

LauraQuilts said...

We had this discussion about handmade trims at applique bee and the consensus is that you just need to cut your length plus some slight overage, and zigzag the overage to prevent it from coming undone. I have never done it, but I have some lengths of tatted lace that I may incorporate as "curtains" in one of those house blocks, so that zigzag thing is my game plan. Good luck!

Crispy said...

What a great find, hand made trim. I have no idea how to keep it from raveling but the above solution sounds like a good one.

Crispy

Abby and Stephanie said...

Mary Grace at Hooked on Needles could probably give you some great advice. Gorgeous find! I have some oxyclean soaking to do too! Oh how I'd love to be at that outdoor antique market!

Kaaren said...

I love that crocheted lace, Carrie. I have a pattern for knitted lace that Lurline from Oz sent to me because I don't know how to crochet. I want to use it in place of prairie points between borders on a quilt.

The pieces that you found with embroidery on them remind me so much of the things my Grandma used to make. I just love them.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Sounds like you had great fun shopping Carrie!

Nanette Merrill said...

What fun. Treasure hunting. I love that.

Robin said...

That trim is so lovely! You make me think maybe I should start checking out antique stores. :)

Cyn said...

I have some hand made trim from my G'Grandmother. When I use a little bit of this lovely stuff, I MACHINE STITCH with SMALL stitches EACH SIDE of where I will be cutting [like 1/4 to 1/2" apart], and then cut INBETWEEN the two stitching lines. This has worked well for me. If the crochet/knit/tatting is with very fine thread, I would stitch two or even 3 very small and close lines of stitching to protect from unraveling. BTW, this same method works very well on old sweaters that can then be re-made/stitched into something else.
Good luck and please let us all know how it goes for you... Oh, and next time you go Anti-Quing, pls give me a call! lol
Hugs,
Cyn;-)
ps: put your siggy into today's mail.

Lynn said...

Pretty trims. I need to brighten up the vintage sheet I bought this weekend. - any suggestions?

Calamity Jane's Cottage, Bonnie said...

Hi Carrie, Cyn said exactly what I do for crochet trim. Best to do stitches on both sides before cutting it and several rows. I do straight stitching not zigzag. You really found some treasures.
Want to thank you for the Birthday wish, I don't thank twice about getting older, just so glad I have them. Learned that from my Mom.
The tree will still be there and the time spent together is now a locked in cherished memory.
Keep Stitchen'
Bonnie

Dorothy said...

Great finds Carrie. Have you tried soaking things in Biz? I found it really lifted some old tea stains on some tray cloths that my Grandma made..

Janet said...

I would hem the crochet so leave enough to do that. You are having a lot of fun with these excursions, I love day trips.

Quilting Memories said...

Hi Carrie, When you were in Welcome at the antique store, you were about 1 mile from my daughter. We are down there a lot, have only been in the store once, but really enjoyed it then, don't know why we haven't gone back!
Love your embroideried pieces, takes me back to my childhood, I loved to watch my Grandmother embroidery, now I do some myself, but don't think I enjoy it as much as she did.
Hope you found the quilt store in Lexington. Pretty neat!

Allie said...

GREAT treasures, Carrie!

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

Brilliant finds Carrie! Love the embroidered towels.

Loralynn said...

You find the neatest things!

Candace said...

We love to drive around the small towns, too, Carrie! Certainly way more fun than chopping down an old tree - LOL! Now if I could just get Mr. Squash to go in more than one antique shop!! What great finds - I love pillowcases with crocheted trim!
Cheers!

Unknown said...

Fabulous finds, Carrie!
That card is so sweet .....
--
Michell
Wireless Home Alarm Security Systems