A week ago I thought I would try my hand at FMQ again. Frances added a little curly cue to the leaves. I like how they look but I was not doing such a good job with the FMQ. The top photo is the front of the quilt sandwich.
This is the back. For some reason I was getting little bird nests where I was doing the curly cues. I have no idea why since I was doing everything the same as the first time I tried the leaves.
I tried this Supreme Slider too. I think I must be very heavy handed because I could not tell a difference in how the fabric moved around. I will keep trying.
Next I tried my hand at this fill in quilting. I was trying to mimic this design I found in a magazine.
I wanted to FMQ this little quilt myself. I did do the fill in quilting and you can see how the piece came out pretty wavy.
So I turned it over and took a steam iron to it. Still a little wavy.
So I decided to use Sharon Schamber's binding with glue technique which helped out tremendously. I have used this technique on another quilt that had some waves in it.
Here is the finished product and a close up. You can see how much fill in quilting I did and I am sure that is why the quilt rippled so much. But now it is all good.
I used back basting applique to do this quilt. I hope to teach a class in the future. The pattern is by Lori Smith. It is called Enjoy the Flowers. It measures 16" x 20" and uses four fat quarters for the whole quilt, front and back.
After all that, I am pretty pleased at how it turned out.
With Passion,
Carrie P.
26 comments:
Looks AWESOME, Carrie!!! Really, beautiful quilting!!
Great job! It's beautiful, all of it!
Good for you to have tried FMQing and persevered through the challenges of it. I remember doing that myself, and hating FMQing. But I promise you that if you continue to practice, it will get much better. This is a great start, and such a pretty piece. Well done!
You are doing great with your free motion quilting Carrie. The little quilt turned out beautiful.
What a delightful little quilt! Your fill in quilting looks wonderful. Thanks for sharing your process at getting it to lay flat. I will be carefully checking out that link! I'd love to take your back basting class - I've never tried that technique.
Hey, it looks great! Amazing how wavy it was, and you got it flat. I was surprised when you said the slider doesn't make a noticeable difference - I love it! It was terrible the other day when I was trying to work things until I noticed I'd forgotten to lay my slider down. The bobbin sliders, though - my machine hates them - vomits up a storm any time I try to use them. weird, huh?
It does look fantastic! You are doing great!
I need to go check out that binding with glue. I developed my own binding with glue method a year ago. I wonder if it is similar?
Your free motion quilting is beautiful! I would love to be able to master that. I still struggle with it.
Looks great!
Are they little bumps (on the bump) where you hesitated in your quilting?
Your FMQ is going good, it just takes lots of practice and at least you are doing it. The little flower quilt turned out beautiful.
And you should be pleased! It is beautiful. Don't you just love Lori Smith's pattern?
Well it turned our very pretty. I find my eyes/hands can't keep up with where I've been and where I want to go.
I am SO impressed, girl...I can't FMQ for anything! Too many pinched nerves, I don't have the control I need over my hands. I really love that little quilt! I just saw an article in my new quilt magazine about back basting applique, I'm going to have to read it. I hadn't heard of it before.
Just look at you! Job well done!!!
Sweet! You are doing wonderful with your FMQ. Lovely quilt!
Well done, Carrie, it looks absolutely wonderful!
I love your leaf quilting. I'm going to bookmark this page just so I can remember to try it.
And your fill in quilting... fantastic! It really makes your applique "pop!" Great job!
Very very cute!
My quilts get wobbly in the exact same places sometimes -- I also use the Sharon Schamber binding method with the glue and love it. Although I don't use the fancy caps -- just the glue straight from the bottle.
Sandra Leichner does all her free motion background then quilts right next to the applique -- I've tried it and it is wonderful for popping up the applique.
Thanks for sharing the name of the pattern!
Diane in Illinois
it looks great! i do enjoy FMQ and am just learning as i go through the process... one quilt at a time. I am interested in the glue binding... and going to check it out. thanks for sharing.
Try putting a Mega Genie - Magic Bobbin Waasher in your machine just below/or behind your bobbin depending on your machine. That often helps tremendously with the birds nests on the back.
Conny from Red Deer, Alberta
It loos wonderful!!
Hi Carrie,
Sometimes if your piece is not balanced in the overal quilting it will be wavy. Therefore if you quilt the background heavily and not the design that may be why your piece was so wavy. Congratulations on getting rid of it with assertive pressing.
Your piece is lovely and with more practice you will find the right balance.
Check your tension, you might have it too tight or loose.
Your applique is always so lovely. I am amazed at how you manage to make some lemonade when you thought you had a lemon. I think the whole thing is absolutely beautiful.
It's beautiful! I think you did a fantastic job!
The quilting you did really gives the piece some beautiful texture! And it looks like you did a great job mitigating the waviness. This looks like a perfect little Valentine's wallhanging. :)
Gorgeous wall hanging - the appliqué was lovely but you finished it off so well with the quilting. I've yet to have a go at Frances' curly leaves but hope to improve my fmq-ing this year too.
Post a Comment