This is Mr. P's quilt top with the borders finally sewn on.
I even got the binding made. I know they look different but the binding really is the same as the borders.That is my practice piece of crocheting. For those of you that crochet you can see I am having issues. I tried different stitches but as you can see I am having problems keeping my edges even. I have a hard time figuring out the last stitch. I don't want to count each stitch so if you crochet and have any advice I would appreciate any you could give me. My teacher says I will learn as I practice more.
I learned how to make a granny square last night in class. Pretty fun. As soon as I get better at crochet I really want to start a hexagon granny square afghan.
With Passion,
Carrie P.
19 comments:
Looking good:)Looking forward to seeing it in person.
Wish I could lend some help on the crocheting - that'd be DD's specialty.
Isn't it funny how the internet can make two identical colors not so identical?
Hugs to you, Carrie.
I have the same problem crocheting. When I do the chain 3 (or 1 or 2 depending on the stitch) I put a stitch marker in the top chain so I can find it when I come back at the end of the next row. Hope that makes sense!
Love your granny square! Its beutiful! I so want to learn to make those so I can make this sampler http://blairpeter.typepad.com/weblog/granny-square-sampler-afghan-project.html
Hmm! I do but I rarely crochet in rows and I don't think I've encountered that issue! Your granny square looks great!
Your granny looks great. On the other piece, it looks like when it went crooked is when you stopped crocheting in your first chain two or three of the previous row. When you come to the last chain, you need to go into the chain two or three(top stich) that had started that first row. I am not a teacher, I have over 25 yrs of crocheting experience and sometimes it is hard to articulate without showing someone. You will get it over time, don't give up, you are doing great. :)
Looking good! I love to knit and crochet. May I suggest you count the stitches in each row. If you want the piece to be square you need to have same amount of stiches in each row.
Looking good! I love to knit and crochet. May I suggest you count the stitches in each row. If you want the piece to be square you need to have same amount of stiches in each row.
Your granny square is beautiful. I had the same issue with crocheting, the edges never turned straight and I think that is why I gave it up. :)Do practice and it will be fine!
Keep up the good work, Carrie!! Already you can do more than me!
Seeing the granny block started reminds me that I may have purchased an instruction book with different granny style blocks. I have to check as I sometimes look at a book on Amazon so many times that I think I own it and have never made the purchase.
Yay for learning to crochet!!
Your granny square is cute!! Well done, Carrie. :-) Isn't crochet addictive?
Mr P's quilt borders look stunning!
When my son's first child eas on the way, i crocheted a crib blanket... The edges were a bit wonky, but my daughter in law loved & used it anyway.
I began knitting about that time. I don't like to have to count, but as it keeps things in order, i do, but i use stitch markers every 10-20 stitches, then i can generally eye ball the count.
A word of encouragement... One skill that comes with practice is the ability to "read" your stitches. Over time one's brain comes to recognize the formation of individual stitches... It makes it easy to catch errors quickly, know what is required to fix the stitch cotrectly, and exactly which loop to slip your crochet hook into. I does take time to acquire this skill, but that's really when the fun starts! Good luck! B
You've made wonderful progress on Mr. P's quilt!
You're granny square is looking GREAT! You'll be stitching up that afghan in no time! :)
way to go! swatching squares, or even long scarves are great for evening out your tension. tension is what makes straight sides!
the last stitch goes in the v, over the top two threads. a good first stitch: chain one, turn, chain one, single crochet in the same place [where the first chain comes from] and ch one for each additional yarn over then work the rest of the row. you started your swatch with a double crochet, so your first stitch after the turn would be single crochet in the same place, chain one, double crochet across. the end stitch would be in the chain, over two threads. the third row is single crochet, the turn stitch would be in the chain below, over two threads, turn, single crochet in the same place, single crochet in each stitch across. above the single crochet is two rows of treble ... the starting stitch would be: chain one, turn, single crochet in the same place, chain two, the end stitch would be in the top chain over two threads. the spaces on the sides are smaller, neater and you're less likely to lose stitch count. have fun! there are so many things to make, so many gorgeous yarns to make them with!
I like to crochet. Your piece looks like my attempts at knitting. I always lose stitches when I knit. I think the gals idea of using a stitch marker will help.
Your applique' is always so beautiful, and you always show so many beautiful pieces. I love to crochet. That was my first love before quilting, and I always have a yarn project in the works. Hope you keep going on it!
Oh, boy! You are just on a roll so far this year. Love it! The quilt is going to be awesome. And your first granny square is fabulous. (Another project on my list, when I finally decide to learn how to crochet... a granny square afghan!)
Post a Comment